William Hill presents latest technical innovations in partnership with Digital Shoreditch and hosts Open House for all Festival Goers
- Panel discussion on “Beyond live action: enhancing the sports betting experience with VR, AR and wearables” with Jamie Hart (Director of Innovation & Customer Experience) and Crispin Nieboer (Director of Corporate Development & Innovation), Monday, 11 May 3.30 pm at Shoreditch Town Hall
- “Darts and Devs” Open House at our Shoreditch hub on Scrutton Street from 6.30 pm to 9 pm on Monday, 11 May at 57-63 Scrutton Street – join us for demos of our latest racing and gaming products, including:
- Alpha launch of re-engineered Darts App
- Experience how it feels to be the jockey in our virtual reality live race - “Get in the Race”
- Wearables - Latest prototype for iWatch
- William Hill APIs being released to developers and launch of Developer Site
The Festival, held in the heart of London’s tech hub, will see over 15,000 participants taking part in 461 sessions presented by over 500 speakers between 11 and 24 May 2015. William Hill, which has a digital hub in Shoreditch (WH Labs), is excited to be part of the festival and will be involved throughout, including presenting on the opening day of the conference, demonstrating various technology innovations, and hosting an Open House event at its offices on the opening day of the Festival.
William Hill will be hosting two events at the Festival:
- A panel discussion on Monday, 11 May from 3.30 pm to 4.20 pm at Shoreditch Town Hall entitled “Beyond live action: enhancing the sports betting experience with VR, AR and wearables”, with speakers including Jamie Hart (Director of Innovation & Customer Experience) and Crispin Nieboer (Director of Corporate Development & Innovation); and
- An Open House event on Monday, 11 May from 6.30 pm to 9.00 pm at William Hill’s Shoreditch Office (57-63 Scrutton St, London, EC2A 4PF) entitled “Darts and Devs”. The event will feature William Hill World Darts Champion Gary Anderson hosting a darts exhibition as well as giving tips to guests on how to improve (or begin!) their darts skills and win prizes on the night. Guests will also be able to experience William Hill’s “Get In The Race” prototype on an Oculus Rift, and demo other recent technical developments one-to-one with the William Hill development team whilst sampling local Shoreditch beers.
The William Hill innovations on show will include:
- A prototype for its “Get In The Race” app for Google Cardboard, in partnership with UNIT9. Customers can now experience a real-life horse race in a 3D virtual environment, “sitting” on the horse they have backed and watching every twist and turn from the jockey’s point of view. Using the latest GPS technology to recreate the race as live and built using 3D graphics which mimic the actual race track, customers will only need a smartphone and Google Cardboard device (costing less than £8) to experience a revolutionary 3D experience, as if they were in the race itself.
Get In The Race is the result of a direct innovation collaboration between William Hill and UNIT9. It is an emerging technology product with the potential to disrupt the future of live sports entertainment. Currently at Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage, Get In The Race allows users to access a real time, data driven virtual experience of a live horse race. Developed using UNIT9's Innovation Phase methodology, the MVP will be showcased to attendees at the upcoming Digital Shoreditch advertising festival.
- The launch of its public Developer Site and API program
William Hill’s new developer site offers a range of functionality, from integrating odds, to log-in, account functionality and bet placement. https://developer.williamhill.com hosts a wealth of information from detailed documentation to tutorials and example test suites, and will allow William Hill to collaborate more effectively with the technical community to foster new ideas, deliver rapid integrations and bring the best collaborations to market.
- The team will be on hand to demonstrate other developments including the alpha launch of our re-engineered Darts App, which enables customers to bet on the first dart as the next player steps up to the oche by simply touching the relevant area of the dartboard. We will also be showcasing the latest prototypes for the iWatch.
Jamie Hart, Director of Innovation & Customer Experience said: “We are very excited to part of DS15 as it brings together the best tech, creative and entrepreneurial talent from across Europe. Technical innovation, and increased differentiation through technology, is key to how William Hill will keep taking the lead in the betting world. The Festival enables us to showcase some of our recent developments and engage even more with the tech community on our doorstep.”
Crispin Nieboer, Director of Corporate Development & Innovation, said: “We’ve only been in Shoreditch for a year but we’re already benefiting hugely from harnessing the rich local environment for technical talent. The WH Labs team is now delivering innovative new products for the Group, testing and refining many “Proofs of Concept” that have gone through to live launch and collaborating with local partners to deliver break-through innovations at speed. At Digital Shoreditch we hope to take this further by highlighting the opportunities for people to join our team or access our API program to be part of the huge wave of innovation in the betting world.”
Notes to editors:
About William Hill:
William Hill, The Home of Betting, is one of the world's leading betting and gaming companies, employing around 16,000 people. Founded in 1934, it is the UK's largest bookmaker with around 2,360 licensed betting offices that provide betting opportunities on a wide range of sporting and non-sporting events, gaming on machines and numbers-based products including lotteries. The Group’s Online business (www.williamhill.com) is one of world’s leading online betting and gaming businesses, providing customers with the opportunity to access William Hill's products online, through their smartphone or tablet, by telephone and by text services. William Hill US was established in June 2012 and provides land-based and mobile sports betting services in Nevada, and is the exclusive risk manager for the State of Delaware’s sports lottery. William Hill Australia (www.williamhill.com.au) is one of the largest online betting businesses in Australia after the Group acquired the Sportingbet Australia business in March 2013 and tomwaterhouse.com in August 2013, two of the leading online corporate bookmakers in Australia, offering sports betting products online, by telephone and via mobile devices. William Hill PLC has been listed on the London Stock Exchange since 2002. The Group generates revenues of c£1.6bn a year.
UNIT9 specialises in creating stories that unfold across multiple platforms. We are storytellers, first and foremost, and our primary goal is always to generate emotion. But as natives of the new media landscape, we also understand that our audience’s viewing is not confined to a single platform or device – or indeed to a single moment in time. So the stories we create mimic the behaviour of our audience, tracing a route that weaves through broadcast, web, virtual reality and social networks, across every variety of screen. With its home base in London, UNIT9 has offices in New York, San Francisco, Łódz, Berlin, Stockholm, Florence, and Mumbai. (www.unit9.com)
Aideen Lee / David Blackburn, Brunswick Group, +44 (0) 20 7404 5959 firstname.lastname@example.org
Heloise Hooton, +31 6 2900 6895, email@example.com