Announced: 30th September 2014 Though the books on this year’s longlist cover eight different sports, titles about football dominate.
Football biographies including those of Bobby Moore, Duncan Ferguson, Paul Vaessen and Lutz Pfannenstiel make up nearly half of the 15-strong longlist.
Other titles include Anna Krien’s closely observed, controversial book following the rape trial of an Australian Rules footballer and Paul Rees’s account of a groundbreaking chapter in the history of British football, looking at West Bromwich Albion’s decision to field three black players against the backdrop of one of the most divisive racial tensions in UK history.
- The Breakaway: My Story by Nicole Cooke (Simon & Schuster)
- Bobby Moore: The Man in Full by Matt Dickinson (Yellow Jersey Press)
- An American Caddie in St. Andrews: Growing Up, Girls, and Looping on the Old Course by Oliver Horovitz (Elliott & Thompson)
- Played in London: Charting the Heritage of a City at Play by Simon Inglis (English Heritage)
- Alone: The Triumph and Tragedy of John Curry by Bill Jones (Bloomsbury)
- Run or Die by Kilian Jornet (Viking)
- Night Games: Sex, Power and Sport by Anna Krien (Yellow Jersey Press)
- In Search of Duncan Ferguson: The Life and Crimes of a Footballing Enigma by Alan Pattullo (Mainstream Publishing)
- The Incredible Adventures of the Unstoppable Keeper by Lutz Pfannenstiel (Vision Sports Publishing Ltd)
- The Three Degrees: The Men Who Changed British Football Forever by Paul Rees (Constable)
- Floodlights and Touchlines: A History of Spectator Sport by Rob Steen (Bloomsbury)
- Stuck in a Moment: The Ballad of Paul Vaessen by Stewart Taylor (GCR Books Ltd)
- Proud: My Autobiography by Gareth Thomas (Ebury Press)
- Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography by Mike Tyson, with Larry Sloman (HarperSport)
- Love Game: A History of Tennis, from Victorian Pastime to Global Phenomenon