Politics By Graham Sharpe

Odds Cut For Scottish independence by March 2016

The odds about Scotland being completely independent by March 24, 2016, have been shortened by bookies William Hill from 10/1 to 11/2 in recent months. It is 1/10 that it will not happen.
'When the news of a Referendum on independence was first announced it seemed a very long shot that Scotland might actually become independent within a few years and we quoted odds reflecting that - now, though, we are being much more cautious and have consistently cut the odds as punters have bet on it happening.' said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe.
William Hill have also revealed that their customers are split almost down the middle about the outcome of the Referendum on independence – with 52% of bets struck in favour of a NO vote, and the other 48% on YES.‘Although the odds make NO a relatively warm favourite at 2/7, with YES an 11/4 chance, they have changed quite significantly in recent months, with NO lengthening from 1/6, and  YES shortening from 7/2’ said Hill’s spokesman Graham Sharpe. ‘It would be no surprise to see them coming together even more before the day of the vote- it could yet be a photo-'William Hill are also betting on the voting turnout at the Referendum - making 66% or more their 1/2 favourite, with Under 66% a 6/4 shot.
And it is 4/6 that 41% or more will vote Yes, 11/10 fewer than 41%.
One of the biggest talking points connected with the Referendum has been what currency Scotland would use once independent - Hills offer 8/13 that they will retain Sterling; 7/2 introduce a new currency of their own making; 4/1 adopt the Euro; 16/1 any other option.